Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Day

I’m sure there are better outlets to get Inauguration Day analysis, I’m actually positive of that, but here’s my two cents:

I’m not entirely sure why Pastor Rick Warren said, “Malia and Sasha” with such incredible emphasis and fervor, but I’m really glad he did. Could you imagine if those girls actually got their names said like that all the time? They would think they were constantly in trouble, “Malia! Sasha! Have a good at school. Oh, Malia, your shoe is untied” (trust me, if you could hear me saying that, it would be funny). Maybe the name Sasha reminds him of Mufasa from the Lion King and when he says it there is a sudden rush of emotionally charged memories from when he first saw the movie causing him to say it the way he did (or maybe I’m confusing him with me). Or maybe he thought that black people really say those names like that. I don’t know and I don’t care. It was a great moment for Pastor Warren and a better one for me.

Obama too, seemed to get wrapped up in the lighthearted air of the ceremony that had been kicked off by Pastor Warren. When he stood up to take the oath he looked to someone and said, “that one was for you,” with an enormous shit-eating grin on his face. And the first thing that came to my mind was: Did he just fart on someone? I know it’s a ludicrous thing to think, but I seriously think it might have happened. Is there a better time to fart in someone’s face than right before you take the Oath of Office of the President of the United States of America? What could anyone do at that point? What do you say if you’re the guy who gets it? I’ve been looking around for a video clip of this so I can accompany it with my posting. If you can find it, let me know. Unless of course it in some way rules out the plausibility of my farting-in-the-face theory, in which case, keep it quietly to yourself.

Then of course there was the exchange with Chief Justice John Roberts. The irony of one of the best speakers I’ve ever heard in my (albeit, short) political life getting crossed up when swearing in is almost too much. Even Michelle smiled a little at this (there is footage of that on the internet, I promise). I have read reports that Obama was actually waiting for Roberts to correct himself because he had forgotten a word. Either way the President and the Chief Justice were stepping on each others lines it was a 5th grade play. Come on guys, there are some really big problems ahead, and we can't get a few lines straight? At that point I turned to my friend and whispered, “let’s hope he gets better from here.” He did, of course. I thought once he was sworn in the speech was quite good. I had an interesting experience watching this speech where I actually looked around the room and saw a truly eclectic group of people. Within 40 feet of me was a table with three Frenchmen, a Slovenian, a German, and a guy from Kansas. Not to mention the numerous other varieties of people in the room. And all of us were watching the same television, listening to the same man. I will never doubt America’s prominence from this day forward. We truly are the sole superpower. Yes, China and India are making noise, but how many rooms do you think you could fill with people from all across the world for inauguration speeches of the new leader of India? No, this was transcendent. I know I was at an American university so it wasn’t exactly like this everyone in Europe, but the world watched. The scene I witnessed was not unusual, there were people all over the world watching and listening to what America had to say. I was an apologetic American the last time I was abroad, this time I know there is a bit more support behind my country now. And to be honest with you, it feels good to start getting the world back on our side.

I’m really pensive about Obama’s presidency in general though. Not because I don’t think he can or will succeed, I just know there are a lot of people that are bitter about the election or think we made a mistake. I know there are a lot of people licking their chops for when he stumbles and are ready to throw everything they’ve got at him when he does. And you know what? That’s politics. It’s shitty, but it’s politics. And it’s probably going to happen, and I can’t condemn people for that because I didn’t always support the last president. Basically what I’m saying is I’m pulling for ya Barry, I think you’re the right man for the job, and you’ve made a believer out of me. It’s a tough road to hoe but I think we can do it, and I think you can be the man to get us there. Good luck to him, good luck to all of us.

Joel

No comments:

Post a Comment