Sunday, June 13, 2010

Day 14: June 13 (Las Vegas, Nevada)

Outside of Kayenta, Arizona there is a billboard advertising for the World War II Navajo Code-Talkers museum. Kayenta is Navajo territory, you see. To be completely honest, it was more of an issue of bladder than of curiosity that brought my car to a stop in Kayenta. After pulling out of the gas station I pulled back onto the highway until I saw a big electronic sign advertising the museum. Above the sign was a familiar logo, a circle with the capital letters B and K in the middle. The World War II Navajo Code-Talkers museum was in a Burger King. I parked my car in the lot and walked inside. The museum was a 12 foot glass display case which housed period era fatigues, rifles and helmets. There were newspaper clippings and a computer screen. Next to the display was a family of four munching on their whoppers and chicken sandwiches. They were not Navajo. I didn’t stay in the Burger King much longer after that. As I was walking to the parking lot a man with black hair and red skin asked me if I wanted to buy an arrowhead that he was holding in his hand. I declined, started my car, and left Kayenta and the World War II Navajo Code-Talkers museum and Burger King behind me.

1 comment:

  1. Keep cool, drink lots of water. We are keeping track of you from Milwaukee. MoMo.

    ReplyDelete