Monday, May 31, 2010

May 31, 2010: St. Louis (Night before the trip)

So what does a guy who majored in Political Science, minored in History, and got a Foreign Service Certificate at Saint Louis University do with his degree? How does a 1-2 month long road trip across the Southwest, up the West Coast, and across the Rockies to return to the place that has felt most like home sound to you? That's the plan all right. I remember when I told my Dad sophomore year that I was going to declare poli sci-- he told me that all the political science factories back East had all closed. 2 years, a degree, and a number of rejections from jobs I didn't really want all that badly anyway I'm choosing to shelve the "go out and get a real job" mantra for just one more, one last, summer.

The (rough) Itinerary
from St. Louis, MO
  • Dallas, TX
  • Austin, TX
  • Albuquerque, NM
  • Santa Fe, NM
  • Taos, NM
  • Durango, CO
  • Telluride, CO
  • Flagstaff, AZ
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • San Francisco, CA (via HWY 1)
  • Eugene, OR
  • Portland, OR
  • Seattle, WA
  • Vancouver, BC
  • Salt Lake City, UT
  • Boulder, CO
What to wear?
  • 9 boxers/boxer briefs
  • 1 Levi Strauss Jeans
  • 1 corduroy pant
  • 4 non-athletic shorts
  • 2 athletic shorts
  • 1 swimming trunks
  • 8 t-shirts
  • 2 long sleeved shirts
  • 3 collared shirts
  • 6 socks
  • 3 shoes (Sperry, sandal, Nike)
  • 1 Northface jacket
  • 1 Light jacket
The Things He Carried
  • Poetry by Pablo Neruda, Stories by TC Boyle and Raymond Carver
  • Checks
  • Passport
  • Digital Camera
  • Journal
  • Computer
  • Ipod
  • Cell Phone (doubles as GPS)
  • Toiletries, Meds, etc.
  • Towel
  • Sunglasses
  • Cooler
  • Food
  • Tent
  • Small propane stove
  • Flashlight
  • Pillow
  • Sleeping bag
  • Collapsible chair
How I'm Getting There
  • 1997 Acura CL 2.3, black with Ohio plates, new brakes, a potentially slipping clutch, freshly changed oil, and enough miles on it to make me too nervous to put the exact number down (think north of 150k). Tom Joad listened nervously to the sounds coming from the family truck as they went West from Oklahoma, hopefully things fare better for me than what became of the Joads.
  • Graduation money (thank you! to everyone who gave me a check, seriously you guys rock)
  • My wonderful and supportive parents that will get a call from their son daily to let them know that he is still alive and having a kick ass time.
I've been wanting to take this trip for several months now, a blue line wiggling across the American West was (and is) the background image on my computer and got me through some tough times during my final semester. I wanted to graduate and be free of everything, free of school, free from work, no ties to anyone or anything; and now I have. There's a lot going into this trip for me. Going home. Finding home. Figuring out where I want to live next. Seeing people I thought I probably wouldn't see again. Scoping out graduate programs. And learning how much I loved St. Louis and my life here by leaving it for a while.

I know how cliche it is to take time off after school and travel, but if it's a cliche at least I can make it my own. I don't really know what to expect from this trip, but I do know that I want to get out there, to see it, to feel it. This blog will be a place for my head on this trip, and I invite you stop in periodically and see what's going on between ears and in front of my face. If I'm in your city then show me some love. If I'm not in your city, let me know you miss me (blog, twitter, facebook, email, cell). Much love guys, I'll be seeing you.

Joel

No comments:

Post a Comment